Monday, September 1, 2014

Conquer the Bridge 2014!

I have been participating in the 5 mile Conquer the Bridge run since 2010. The course takes you from Ports O' Call in San Pedro starting from 5th street, up the St. Vincent Bridge, and back.


This year I was reluctant to do it since I hadn't ran since last year's race. My workouts (mostly with kettlebells at home) have not been consistent due to  chipped cartilage in my left knee, a tumor in my right knee and a torn muscle on my right lower back caused by an automobile accident.

However, I paid in advance so I had to do it. It went better than expected! I was surprised that I was able to jog for the most part. However, my calves were killing me when trying to run the correct way, the "Pose Method," while wearing my Vibram FiveFingers. Going up the bridge made me surrender to the pain and I reluctantly walked it.

Overall, I felt good. Now, I'm looking forward to next year. I truly hope to be disciplined enough to prepare and get back to my workouts. With a little prep, I know I can do a lot better!



Here's a cool little video put together by the organizers. It shows the whole route:






2 comments: